Thursday, December 8, 2011

Culinary IQ: Thursday, December 8, 2011; Fudge

Oh Fudge!

Can I just say I love fudge. If it is good, I don't care how it was made. There are several ways to make fudge and it is really your own preference as to which method to use. I have a couple of very simple recipes that produce a nice creamy fudge and are simple to make. On top of being easy the recipes make enough to have some to enjoy yourself and to gift to friends for a special occasion.


The history of fudge is unclear but most agree that it was definitely an American creation. It is thought to have originated in the late 1800s in Baltimore. As the story goes a candy maker was making caramel and fudged on some of the ingredients and the result was Fudge! By definition fudge is a crystaline candy and getting just the right size of crystal is key to getting a smooth creamy fudge.


Fudge is usually comprised of sugar, butter, some form of milk and flavorings. The ingredients are usually boiled to just the right consistency and then beaten to develop the crystals necessary for achieving the perfect texture and structure. I will admit that while I am tempted to try some exotic flavors from time to time, I have two standing favorites, chocolate and peanut butter. Both of which I have simple and delicious recipes for.


I just posted the recipe for my 5-pound fudge on www.culinaryroom.com yesterday and today I am going to give you the recipe for Grandma"s Peanut Butter Fudge which I found on www.allrecipes.com years ago and have been making every since. Again it is one of the more simple methods for making fudge but it makes a deliciously creamy fudge and enough to make nice gifts.  Here is the recipe:


Grandma’s Peanut Butter Fudge
Original Recipe Yield 1 - 9x13 dish

Ingredients
4 cups white sugar
1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
1 cup butter
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow creme
Directions
  1. Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish and set aside. Butter a 3 quart saucepan.
  2. Place buttered saucepan over medium heat, and combine sugar, evaporated milk and 1 cup butter within. Heat to between 234 and 240 degrees F (112 to 116 degrees C), or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms a soft ball that flattens when removed from the water and placed on a flat surface.
  3. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and marshmallow creme. Beat vigorously until smooth. Pour quickly into prepared baking dish. Let cool completely before cutting into squares.
To finish out the week I am going to discuss homemade marshmallows. While general thought to be difficult to make I think they are simple and will have most of your friends impressed!

No comments:

Post a Comment