Friday, October 1, 2010

3 Days Under the Knife!


For the last 3 days we have been working on knife cuts with many more to come. As part of that I learned the proper way to cut an onion today! I have been cutting wrong all along. We typically get a demonstration of the cuts in class from the chef and then spend the remainder of the class practicing the cuts that he has demonstrated. Yesterday we cut potatoes in Allumette (1/8" x 1/8" x 2 1/2") and Paile (1/16" x 1/16" x 2 1/2") after that we cut turnips in Brunoise (1/8" x 1/8" x 1/8") and Brunoisette (1/16" x 1/16" x 1/16")

Cuts from upper left to right potato Allumette, Paile and Bruniosette, turnip Bruniosette and Brunoise.  Bottom is todays vegetables onion, carrot and tomato with my tools.

Today we cut onion in 3 cuts Des, Emincer and Ciseler. Garlic in Hacher. Tomatoe in Concasser and carrots in Macedione. I love the way my onions came out!

Todays cuts clockwise from upper left, onion Cizeler, Emincer and Des, garlic Cizeler, carrot Macedione and tomato Concasser

Jessica, Creston and Cheri

I have already my some great friends in class and I look forward to making more. Jessica is a history major turned hollywood agent turned baker and Cheri is a mother from Memphis Tennessee who moved here to be close to her grandchildren and was inspired to go to culinary school by the Cake Wars!

No comments:

Post a Comment