Tuesday, September 28, 2010

You say tomato, I say potato!

Paring Portato
Today was hands on! After learning about the kitchen brigade we moved into cutting potatoes. First we learned the parts of the knife and the proper way to hold it. After all these years I learned that I was holding my knife wrong. Holding it right makes a huge difference. We used the proper method for peeling the potato, pulling the peeler toward you rather than peeling away from oneself. We learned to block the potato and then to cut into Pont Neuf ( 3/4" x 3/4" x 3"), Migonette (1/4" x 1/4" x 2") and Macedoine (1/4" x 1/4" x 1/4"). It will take some practice to get these cuts down!

Blocked Potato
I Got an email today to sign up to judge a chili cookoff in November, I hope I get it! The students are offered opportunities to work One Time Events. Chefs will call into to the school looking for students to work special events and get paid for them. Many times the responsibilities are platting and preparing items for serving. It is an excellent opportunity to get experience working with notable chefs!
Pont Neuf, Migonette, Macedoine

No comments:

Post a Comment