Friday, April 6, 2012

Culinary IQ: Friday, April 6, 2012; Where to Start?

So Much Fun!

You know what they say, time flies when you are having fun. I decided I had time tonight to sit down and finally blog again and saw that it has been two whole months since my last attempt to blog!

Looking back, my last blog was about the stress of making chocolate lava cake for 120 and have it lava. Since then I have tackled chocolate lava for 210! I am actually amazed at the amount of chocolate I have gone through in the two months that I have been on this job, well past my own weight I am sure.

Other items I have accomplished are individual flourless chocolate cake for 80 on Valentine's Day. 90 key lime pies in margarita glasses with graham cracker crumb rimmed glasses, trio of cheesecakes for 100 and maybe the most stressful but also most rewarding were the 15 beautiful dark chocolate soufflés I made for the Board of Governors annual dinner that they had right in the kitchen where I was making them! In addition to all of these special events I have made birthday cakes for members and 1000's of desserts for the many banquets and buffets that have been held throughout the last 2 months.


This weekend is big, tonight was an Italian night buffet which I prepared tiramisu, cannoli and biscotti for. Tomorrow we have a number of Seder dinners totaling 180 guests in all and they will be having flourless chocolate cake with raspberry couli and fresh raspberries. Sunday is one of the two biggest days of the season, Easter which will be a buffet that includes pastries, cheesecake, carrot cake, chocolate cake and numerous other mini desserts and decorated cookies for the children.

I am very excited that at one point the club had a very elaborate pastry operation with equipment that some of the most successful shops don't have, like a dough sheeter and chocolate tempering machine! I have had a few opportunities to use the dough sheeter so far but has been tucked away in a basement storage area so I have to move it out and into the kitchen each time I want to use it. It looks like the club is going to rearrange things so I can have the equipment out where it is convenient to use, I am very excited.


Well I just wanted to take a few minutes to get you up to speed, I am dropping some pictures in here of my work space and some of the desserts I have done since I have been on the job. I will try to get back to you sooner next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment